My recreational standards shall inspire me so to conduct myself while hiking - either with the Club or independently - that the pleasure to be had by others shall be a little greater for my acts.
In view of this, it is my duty as a Hiker:
- To guard the reputation of the Club to the end that no censure will prevent any from enjoying its benefits.
- To adopt, as my own, the regulations of the National Park Service as applied to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- To carry no firearms in the Park, or elsewhere, on any scheduled hike.
- To protect Nature's beauty and wild life from damage or destruction.
- To build fires only when necessary, and then with none but dead and down timber.
- To leave a clean trail, unlittered camp, and a dead fire.
- To be ready with hiking information and a welcome to visitors.
- To lighten the burden of the leaders by my hearty cooperation.
- To contribute, when a leader, to the enjoyment of others by the faithful performance of my duties.
- To cooperate with the officers of the Club for the betterment of hiking.
This is the historic SMHC Code of Ethics, in existence since the earliest days of the Club.